[PRL] MSFT gives Joe Marshall kudos, decides Appel was right after all

Matthias Felleisen matthias at ccs.neu.edu
Thu Jun 1 12:26:47 EDT 2006

On Jun 1, 2006, at 11:29 AM, Mitchell Wand wrote:

> Two items from MSFT:
>
> 1.  Joe Marshall's work seems to have gotten noticed by Dharma Shukla,
> one of Don Box's buddies: (
> http://www.dharmashukla.com/2006/05/beautiful-hack.html )

Your subject line suggested that they had used Joe's bug report and
work-around. The Pettyjohn ... Marshall ... paper isn't hack: it's a
gorgeous complex theory :-)

> 2.  Elsewhere, one of the CLR bigshots says that the problem is not
> continuations, it's the stack itself, and the stack is a bad idea,
> after all.
>
> http://www.bluebytesoftware.com/blog/PermaLink,guid,db077b7d-47ed
> -4f2a-8300-44203f514638.aspx

I don't think he meant Appel is right at least not according to this
quote: "So many problems we encounter with parallel programming (among
other domains) would go away with a more structured representation of
the program as a state machine."

Like many other people, the guy appears to think that one can design
most Web apps as finite state machines with a bit of infinity here and
there. Argh.

-- Matthias