[PRL] Constable @ NUPRL

Matthias Felleisen matthias at ccs.neu.edu
Wed Feb 8 09:29:12 EST 2006

This Thursday Bob Constable will visit the college for a "distinguished
lecture." He will spend time with us, i.e., NU PRL. If you are working
on a research project, I (as in we the PRL faculty) would like you to
present your ___five-minte___ spiel between 11 and 12. I know that this
includes: Philippe, Felix, Carl, Ryan, Sam, Vas, Dale, Theo, Dave,
Richard, and Fabio.

Consider this an important practice talk without potential negative
consequences. If this were a conference, you might be talking yourself
out of a job. Here it is just a visitor who won't remember who made the
mistake :-)

** If you're not on that list but wish to present, holler.

** If you're not on this list, attend and watch. Learning how to do
this five-minute thing well is essential.

To give you an idea of who Bob Constable is, let me enumerate some of
his students:

-- Joe Bates, CMU
-- Ed Clark, CMU
-- Bob Harper, CMU
-- Jason Hickey, CalTech
-- Scott Smith, JHU
and our very own
-- Eli Barzilay.

And no, Bob wouldn't consider himself a PL person. Look'em up. See what
they do and did.

If you don't know why I am mentioning our lab's name "NU PRL" twice,
find out. This kind of "environmental awareness" and "acquisition" is
distinctly necessary for top-flight academic in this day and age.

-- Matthias