[PRL] The latest from Joel

William D Clinger will at ccs.neu.edu
Mon Jan 2 21:05:02 EST 2006

I'm sorry to say something serious in reply to this, but I don't
think this remark should be left untouched.

Matthias wrote:
> Sure in a sense you're correct. But the fact that they went all Java
> just shows that the faculty is all wobbly. The typical faculty is
> spineless, gutless and doesn't wish to stand up to the freshmen who
> know everything; the NSF/ACM diktat that we must have more women now;
> and other such crap....

I don't see how anyone's desire to attract more women to CS can
possibly have anything to do with this.

It is a demographic fact that we would almost double the size of
our applicant pool if women were as interested in CS as men are.
How could doubling the size of our applicant pool fail to raise
the quality of those selected for admission?

Will