[PRL] The latest from Joel

Felix S Klock II pnkfelix at ccs.neu.edu
Thu Dec 29 19:11:27 EST 2005

Mitch-

[RANT #1:]

Joel is a lazy interviewer.

If Joel want to test the ability of his interviewee, asking them to
implement a Hashtable in Java won't cut it.

So Joel needs to adjust his problem space appropriately.  Instead of
asking for a Hashtable, perhaps he should ask for a persistent map,
providing the students with an appropriate (functional) interface (or
without the interface, if he wants to test their vocabulary skills).
Perhaps he should ask for a bitstring-based set representation.

[RANT #2a:]

Joel correctly identifies the real goal here: programmers need a
"certain ability to reason, to think in abstractions, and, most
importantly, to view a problem at several levels of abstraction
simultaneously."  But then he makes the conclusion that because an
all-Java degree leaves out pointers and recursion, it has left out
those other capabilities as well.  That is totally ridiculous; the
school, not the language, is to blame for this.

It is the fault of the college teachers that are not adjusting their
curriculums with more difficult programming assignments to force the
students to do the bit-packing, or to share state between data
structures, or to come up with clever data representations.  I can't
help with getting segfaults back into the curriculum though (a shame
about those darn safe languages).

[RANT #2b:]

And Joel says that he's wrestling with this because he "can't tell if
they're struggling with these problems because they are undereducated
or if they're struggling with these problems because they don't
actually have that special part of the brain that they're going to
need to do great programming work."  Umm, what's the big problem with
not hiring the student either way?  I mean, it is sad that the
student didn't get the education that he paid for, but that is not
Joel's problem to solve.  He's going to have to choose between cheap
labor from untrusted sources or expensive scare labor from
elsewhere.  Okay, maybe I just answered my own question.

-Felix