[PRL] Fwd: ACM TechNews - Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Matthias Felleisen matthias at ccs.neu.edu
Wed Dec 14 17:12:33 EST 2005

WSJ on the proliferation of PLs:

`
"Computer Languages Multiply, Pleasing Many--But Not All"
Wall Street Journal (12/14/05) P. B1; Gomes, Lee
While the proliferation of languages has been a boon to software
programmers, the extensive variety often frustrates their bosses and
confounds the larger software companies. C and the subsequent C++ may
be the most popular languages in use today, but any programmer working
on the Web must also include languages such as Perl, Python, PHP, and
TCL in his resume. The explosion has been partially fueled by the
ability of an individual programmer or a small group to create and
market a language, as was the case with Ruby on Rails, which became an
overnight sensation thanks to a 15-minute demonstration video the
Danish programmer David Hansson circulated over the Web. Once a
language has gained a core following, blogs and Web sites appear to
track its developments. Many languages owe their origins to small
design firms trying to make a commercial success of themselves, while
others are labors of love, as is the case with many open source
projects. As new languages continue to emerge, however, more
programmers are defecting from mainstream systems such as .NET and Java
in favor of niche offerings that are more tailored to a specific
project. CIOs are often assailed by complaints from their programmers
when they try to impose restrictions on the number of languages that
are permissible. While it has been demonstrated theoretically that each
language is the rough equivalent of any other, it is no more likely for
a consensus to appear within the programming community than it is for a
single car to be met with a universal embrace from the entire fleet of
motorists.
'

This is from the mostly useless TechNews thingie.

-- Matthias

Begin forwarded message: