[PRL] Reddit rewritten in Python

John Clements clements at brinckerhoff.org
Tue Dec 6 13:39:11 EST 2005

On Dec 5, 2005, at 8:39 PM, Doug Orleans wrote:

> So much for that Lisp startup.
>
> http://reddit.com/blog/2005/12/night-of-living-python.html
>
>   night of the living python
>
>   Visiting reddit today, you may notice that things seem a little
>   different. It's not just your imagination -- as our series of header
>   icons hinted at, the site has been entirely rewritten in Python
>   during some marathon coding sessions over the past couple weeks.
>
>   Hopefully things won't be too different, but if you notice something
>   that seems odd or broken, send us a note using the new handy
>   feedback form and we'll get right on it.
>
>   Hopefully our shiny new Python code will make it even easier for us
>   to add cool new features for your enjoyment. Looks like I'll have to
>   get a new book...
>
>   PS - For all you Lispers, stay tuned for a longer post about why we
>   rewrote in Python.

Here's what they say in their follow-up:

1) cross-platform compatibility: can't use the same lisp on FreeBSD
and OS X (deployment & development)
2) libraries:  python's are widely used & well-tested.

Okay, no surprises there.

The (obvious) next question: WHEN WHEN WHEN will dynamic languages
people agree on a runtime environment / GC interface so that
different languages can interoperate?

No, I suppose it's not that simple.

John Clements