[PRL] Interesting article in LtU

Johan Ovlinger johan at ccs.neu.edu
Fri Dec 2 14:10:18 EST 2005

Mitchell Wand wrote:

>      Misc Links
>      <http://lambda-the-ultimate.org/node/view/1154>
>
> A couple of small items that caught my attention.
>
>    * Fritz Kunze (President of Franz Inc.) reveals the secrets to
>      successful programming language business
>      <http://www.livejournal.com/users/hisashim/232542.html>.

It's funny that he mentions oracle.  Franz apparently apply the oracle
tactic of "well, how much money d'ya have?" when providing pricing
information.  In addition, they want to charge by the number of
running instances, not developer seats.  Both of these are huge
stumbling blocks to companies developing software services (as opposed
to shrink-wrapped programs) in lisp.

I understand that many who would love to use Franz' superior compiler
and debugger instead end up using CMUCL or SBCL because at least then
they can predict how much it will cost (basically one full-time
in-house CMUCL expert).