[PRL] isomorphic fixed points

peter douglass peterd at ccs.neu.edu
Fri Nov 4 10:20:39 EST 2005

Hi,
   During my talk yesterday, the question was raised of whether the
fixed   points of a given (algebraic) type constructors were all
isomorphic, or whether we needed to choose a "least" fixed point.  I'm
glad we did not stray too long on this question during the talk, but I
would like to address it now.

   Isomorphisms constitute a very undiscriminating equivalence
relationship.  In the category of sets, all pairs of sets with the same
cardinality are isomorphic.

   We can use cardinality to argue that all fixed points of the Maybe
functor (in the category of sets) are isomorphic.  There are no set with
a finite number of elements is a fixed point of the Maybe functor.  Sets
with the cardinality of the natural numbers are all fixed points, but
they are all isomorphic.  Finally, if we assume the continuum
hypothesis, there are no sets with cardinality greater than the
cardinality of the natural numbers, but less than the cardinality of the
reals (or the powerset of the naturals).  The set of all reals is not a
fixed point of the Maybe functor, and ... well I'm going to stop at the
reals.

   With regard to Haskell lists having "more" elements than the finite
lists, I'm not sure that is true.  The cardinality of the set of
infinite lists of naturals is the cardinality of the powerset of
naturals, or the cardinality of the reals.  However, the set of all
Haskell lists of nats does not include the set of all infinite lists of
nats, but only those that can be finitely represented.  So, I would
argue that the set of Haskell lists of nats is isomorphic to the set of
finite lists of nats.  Haskell lists might be a "greatest" fixed point
in some sense, as someone at PL-jr claimed was claimed by third parties.
      But if we choose "isomorphism" to be our equivalence relationship,
Haskell lists are "equivalent" to finite lists.

   Once one accepts that isomorphism is a poor notion of equivalence,
one might find this very troubling for category theory.  If objects are
so frequently isomorphic, are not the results of category theory
somewhat vacuous?  We are talk about lists, and Nats etc as if they were
different "objects", but in the end, they all seem to be isomorphic!  I
think the answer to this is to remember that what are important are the
arrows and not the objects.

--PeterD