[PRL] [Fwd: Andy Bernat's Talk Today]

Matthias Felleisen matthias at ccs.neu.edu
Wed Nov 2 19:19:44 EST 2005

On Nov 2, 2005, at 8:10 AM, Mitchell Wand wrote:

> This is a good opportunity to learn about how CS funding works.
>
> --Mitch

Apologies for Adny Bernat's stupid mindless presentations of NYT & WSJ
facts, CRA advertising, mixed with random Bush bashing, and useless
(for the working scientist) anecdotes about the world in which people
like Andy move around. I have an entire book on the shelf on
good-meaning people who do huge harm with well-intended actions. You
can read this if you want to understand that crap.

To make up for this total waste of time, I am volunteering a 15-minute
talk that distills my experience with funding agencies, direct and
indirect. At least you won't graduate from here without having heard
the words NSF, (D)ARPA, DoD, DoE, DoEd/FIPSE, ARP/ATP, and similar
acronyms.

If you're interested, holler. I'll do it for one, two in my office or
for PRL in 366.

-- Matthias