[PRL] values and expressions

Matthias Felleisen matthias at ccs.neu.edu
Sun Oct 23 15:14:07 EDT 2005

In the #3 sense you have this:

Syntax: Expressions only. It makes _no_ sense to mention values here.
This is often done to save space in the paper.

Semantics: Separate the set of expressions into a set of values and,
implicitly, a set of computational constructs. Put differently, assume
some magical way of getting a reduction relation Syntax x Syntax that
specifies the syntax-based abstract machine where states are programs
and execution steps are elements of the reduction relation. For such a
machine, you must specify final states; call those values.  In a sense,
this definition is implied but as the huge confusion of
normal-order/applicative-order/normal-form of the last 30 years shows,
it's better to spell it out. In our typical systems, this set of values
also helps specifying the relation, which is why we do it first.

Plotkin did all this in 1972, set the applicative/normal-order people
straight, and showed that leftmost-outermost is _the_ proper way to
reduce. Period. Unfortunately, there are still confused people, but I
have given up on those.

Now again, if you want to see weird scenarios, take a look at Crank and
Felleisen.

-- Matthias