[PRL] values and expressions

Matthias Felleisen matthias at ccs.neu.edu
Sun Oct 23 14:14:17 EDT 2005

On Oct 23, 2005, at 12:16 AM, Dave Herman wrote:

> Is it a really bad thing not to have the values of a language be a
> subset of the expressions?

Dave (et al), I must say that I am disappointed about this question
(and some of the answers). As posed, it makes little sense:

1. Do you want to ask it in a denotational setting?

2. Do you want to ask it about an operational setting `a la Kahn-Milner?

3. How about a reduction semantics `a la Plotkin-Felleisen?

The answer for each is different, because the word value means
something entirely different. Nobody should have given you an answer
without inquiring what you really want :-)

-- Matthias

P.S. My hunch is that Richard intuited your assumptions properly.

P.P.S. For 3 with weird ideas, look at Crank & Felleisen some old POPL.