[PRL] Emacs for Tiger

Richard Cobbe cobbe at ccs.neu.edu
Tue Aug 2 15:51:48 EDT 2005

On Tue, Aug 02, 2005 at 03:35:23PM -0400, John Clements wrote:
> Upgrading to OS X Tiger broke my (old) home build of Emacs.  I see
> several solutions:
>
> 1) get it through Fink.
> 2) Find another build online.
> 3) build it myself.

Where did your old build come from?

If it was fink, did you follow the instructions on Fink's web page for
upgrading to Tiger?  If so, and it still doesn't work after a fink
update-all, then you should probably check on the fink-users mailing
list (details on Fink's home page).  Note, btw, that a recent update to
libXaw3d broke my installation of Xemacs; a "fink rebuild xemacs" put
things right.  You may need to do this as well.

Otherwise, there are carbon ports of both FSFmacs and XEmacs which are
getting reasonably stable, I'm told; building the FSFmacs port is not
too bad.  I've not tried the XEmacs port in a while.

And I can attest that the XEmacs in fink for 10.4 is perfectly fine; you
can even do a binary install if you don't want to wait on the huge
compilation time.  (Of course, then you get to deal with the incredible
annoyance of X not always coming to the front when you cmd-tab to it
under Tiger.)

Richard