[PRL] annoying types ARGH! -> structure-shy

Pengcheng Wu wupc at ccs.neu.edu
Thu May 12 10:51:21 EDT 2005

On Thu, 12 May 2005, Karl Lieberherr wrote:

> And the point is that the details of the data model are not important,
> BOTH to the program and to the test input.

Well, sometimes, the details of the data model does matter. For example,
in your class structure, if each Shape object happens to have a back link
to the Compound object in which the Shape object is stored (this is a
common situation in programs), then your program may enter an infinite
loop and never terminates.

I would like to say this way: in the Adaptive Programming world, when one
writes a traversal strategy, she has to think carefully to which data
model this strategy will be applied, sometimes even including the details;
and the strength of Adaptive Programming is that when in situations
where the details are not important, the generator can automatically
generate traversal code, which otherwise will be tedious and error-prone.

--Pengcheng