[PRL] Joel on Software - Making Wrong Code Look Wrong

Doug Orleans dougo at place.org
Wed May 11 17:32:42 EDT 2005

Paul A. Steckler writes:
 > Aspects/advices (I savor that word) also have extra-local effects.

I don't think this is true, or else I don't understand what you mean
by "extra-local effects".  Advice has no effect on the call-site, only
the execution-site-- just like any other function/method/operator
call.  If the complaint is that the execution-site is not all in once
place in the code, this is certainly also true about polymorphism.
The usual complaint about advice vs. polymorphism is that you can't
find all the code that might be executed just by looking up the
function name; this is something that code-browser tools like AJDT try
to address, by generalizing the meta-operation "find all methods that
might be executed by this function call" into "find all advice that
might apply to this join point shadow".

--Doug