[PRL] Joel on Software - Making Wrong Code Look Wrong

Felix S Klock pnkfelix at ccs.neu.edu
Wed May 11 14:21:18 EDT 2005

On May 11, 2005, at 1:10 PM, Mitchell Wand wrote:

> Interesting reading...  I smell types...  Of course the PLT naming
> conventions are very much in tune with what he's thinking.

An odd thing is that Joel himself is dragged towards the connection to
types, because he likens the practice to Hungarian notation, and when
he discusses Hungarian notation, he makes the following statement:

"In Simonyi’s version of Hungarian notation, every variable was
prefixed with a lower case tag that indicated the kind of thing that
the variable contained . . . I’m using the word kind on purpose, there,
because Simonyi mistakenly used the word type in his paper, and
generations of programmers misunderstood what he meant."

When you think of "type" as meaning "storage class", then I suppose
Joel is right to say that Simonyi is mistaken, and that the notation is
not for types.

But if you think of "type" as "classification according to semantic
meaning", then it seems like Joel is dead wrong.  Simonyi was right to
call it a type, and all Simonyi was doing was making up for the
impoverished type meta language he had available.

(I'm not considering "type" as "proposition about program text",
because that seems like it could be specialized to either of the above
meanings)

What is the right way to try to get these ideas into the public's mind?
  Joel came so close. . .

-Felix

----
"If you're not bored, you're not learning."
  -G.C. Rota (10/16/97)