[PRL] Contracts vs aspects

Joe Marshall jrm at ccs.neu.edu
Fri Apr 29 09:02:15 EDT 2005

Mitchell Wand <wand at ccs.neu.edu> writes:

> Now, one of the things we know and the imperative folks don't is the
> virtues of using binding rather than state whenever possible.  Can you
> come up with an example where contracts+binding does better than
> advice+state?

The problem with state is the implicit dependency upon time.  Most
examples of aspects that I've heard about also have an implicit time
dependency:  `Ensure this happens before that' `Whenever X is
called, do Y'  Naturally, when you start with a problem description
that is time-dependent, the solution will reflect this.

You need to come up with a problem in the aspect domain where time
dependency is a liability.