[PRL] A (hopefully interesting) new language

Sam Tobin-Hochstadt samth0 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 20:31:59 EDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-04-26 at 18:32 -0400, Sam Tobin-Hochstadt wrote:
> PRL -
>
> My group at Sun has just put out the first draft of our language
> specification.  I would describe it as a mix of Java, Fortran, Scheme
> and a lot else.  We're very interested in (constructive) feedback.

I should also mention that this is part of the DARPA HPCS project:
  http://www.darpa.mil/ipto/programs/hpcs/

And that IBM and Cray are also developing language, known as X10 and
Chapel respectively.

An abstract on X10 (starts on page 45):
  http://www.research.ibm.com/arl/pphec/pphec2005-proceedings.pdf

Chapel web page:
  http://chapel.cs.washington.edu/

Chapel has a draft spec out, and X10 promises one soon.

sam th