[PRL] AspectJ "feature"

Jeffrey Palm jpalm at ccs.neu.edu
Tue Apr 5 15:13:34 EDT 2005

John Clements wrote:

> Is this something that Gregor et. al. consider "the right thing?"

Gregor I think wanted this to be an error; et al. (or just al.) made it
the way it is.

I agree with you, but this is very similar to the 'fragile super type'
(maybe that's not the name) problem, but just in disguise.  You write an
aspect that's using the method names of a class as it's interface, but
this interface isn't explicit.  Java and all the rest have the same
problem with non-purely-virtual methods.  To me these are join points to
which advice can be attached; the aspects are subclass instances; point
cuts are the method signatures in subclasses; and the advice is the
implementations of this method in those classes.  If the supertype
changes the name of that method, the pointcut is subclasses is no longer
valid.  That should be an error, too.

Jeff

Jeffrey Palm --> http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/jpalm