[PRL] AOP questions

Karl Lieberherr lieber at ccs.neu.edu
Wed Mar 30 09:26:17 EST 2005

Hi John:

Yes, debugging mechanisms are useful for implementing AOP.

The Java Debugger interface was used by Andrej Popovici at ETH Zurich to
implement a dynamic aspect mechanism through a library. See AOSD 2002
paper on PROSE.

-- Karl

 > You say "pointcut", I say "conditional breakpoint"... what's the
 > difference?

I don't know, maybe nothing?  I don't know what exactly you mean by
"conditional breakpoint", maybe you should write a paper explaining
the connection!  Just don't confuse the mechanisms of AOP with the
purpose of AOP, which is separation of concerns.  If your debugger
scripts don't help with that, then you wouldn't really be able to call
it AOP.

--Doug