[PRL] Pop quiz

Richard Cobbe cobbe at ccs.neu.edu
Thu Mar 10 18:53:35 EST 2005

On Thu, Mar 10, 2005 at 06:23:05PM -0500, Mitchell Wand wrote:
> As another in a sequence of occasional quizzes on pop culture, I'm
> asking the following question:
>
> Do you know who Pinky and The Brain [who appear in the comic strip on
> my door] are?
>
> This poll open to all members of the PRL.

They're minor characters from the Animaniacs, a fall-down funny WB
animated series that ran for 5 years; the lack of a DVD release can only
be described as a criminal omission.  It's the perfect example of a
cartoon that works extremely well on two levels, both for kids and for
adults.

Pinky and the Brain are lab rats that, IIRC, have escaped and are using
their (well, ok, Brain's) superior intelligence to try to take over the
world.  Every one of their segments starts with the same thing:

    Pinky: "What are we going to do tonight, Brain?"

    Brain: "Same thing we do every night---try to take over the world!"

And, of course, Brain's plots are ridiculous, improbable, and over the
top; they inevitably fail in some ridiculous, improbable, over-the-top
fashion.  It's sort of like Wile E. Coyote updated, though Pinky and the
Brain are henchman and evil genius rather than sworn enemies.

Richard