REST & PLT model: both old news? Was: Re: [PRL] REST?

Shriram Krishnamurthi sk at cs.brown.edu
Fri Feb 18 10:17:52 EST 2005

Duh!

No, seriously, I think you're dead right.  I've been eyeing JavaScript
for a while now, since it has grown into a mature language.  Google
(both mail and maps) are what pushed me over the edge.  I have never
quite believed Paul Graham's "everything on the server" philosophy, so
I wondered how Gmail would work.  Once I ran it...duh!

Matthias has been thinking along these lines, too.

I, for one, don't want to code in JS, though, if I can help it.  Nor
do I want to commit to what runs where.  The transparent migration
*and compilation* of code is one of the things I'd like to tackle
next.  We have so far thought about code migration as "merely" a
matter of moving the code and changing the data communication
primitives.  This presents a new challenge, where migration involves
cross-language compilation and potentially tweaking of the dominant
mode of control (from direct-style to implicit-invocation).

Shriram