[PRL] RE: REST (fwd)

Matthias Felleisen matthias at ccs.neu.edu
Thu Feb 17 18:09:39 EST 2005

On Feb 17, 2005, at 4:36 PM, David A. Herman wrote:

>> So, to a first approximation, could we say that Fielding's REST
>> is basically just an abstract description of how the web works
>
> Yes.  With some emphasis on which approaches are most natural for the
> web,
> most web-like, and therefore most desirable.

Just to clarify this: The Web model paper (presented and analyzed :-)
in my absence at some point) is an attempt to model the web as it is
not as it would be in its most desirable form.

Also, if I understood Mitch's summary and accept it as accurate, I
think we see the old finite-state view coming back, which doesn't seem
to work in a dynamic world.

-- Matthias, who hasn't digested this REST thing yet, so he's on first