[PRL] REST?

Richard Cobbe cobbe at ccs.neu.edu
Wed Feb 16 06:53:38 EST 2005

On Wed, Feb 16, 2005 at 01:19:48AM -0500, Johan wrote:
> REpresentational State Transfer.
>
> As near as I can tell, the idea is that the URL represents the totality
> of the current client state.  [ie, very distictly NOT a session key].
> The connection to continuations would appear to be that if the server
> maintains client state in a hashtable of continuations, each
> continuation's hash makes a fine rest URL.

Does it?  I don't know much about designing web apps; that's more Greg's
area.  But it seems to me that a continuation hash is just a fancy
session key.  If you actually want to represent *all* of the client's
state in the URL, then you'd need to do something like representing the
continuation itself (rather than a continuation ID) in the URL -- a bit
like what Greg's been working on recently.

Richard