[PRL] REST?

Dave Herman dherman at ccs.neu.edu
Tue Feb 15 23:13:11 EST 2005

> Hmm, looking at LtU, I found a discussion that talked about REST APIs
> vs PITA APIs.  I finally found that PITA was an acronym for Pain In
> The A**, but that REST was the name what appears to be the Web Design
> Pattern du Jour. (or maybe the "Distributed Software Architecture" du
> Jour).

The world abounds in PITA API's, as we all know. ;)

As for REST vs. continuation-based, Anton van Straaten has something to
say about this. His talk at LL4 was about the two approaches, although I
didn't understand what he was trying to say. I talked to him afterwards,
and he said he'll try to write up his ideas -- he still hasn't, so I
think I'll give him a poke.

(I have yet to even understand what is espoused by the REST
architectural style. Frankly, I'm skeptical of any methodology that
can't give you a straight answer to "what is it?")

Dave