[PRL] Re: legacy code and AOP

Matthias Felleisen matthias at ccs.neu.edu
Wed Feb 9 11:10:14 EST 2005

On Feb 9, 2005, at 10:58 AM, Shriram Krishnamurthi wrote:

>> has anyone thought of developing an AOP system for C
>
> Yes.  I believe Gregor and Yvonne Coady, in FSE 2001, talked about
> AspectC in the context of OS refactoring.  Julia Lawall's work is not
> quite an aspect system for C, but has a DSL component that compiles
> into C that performs aspect-like maintenance.

Thanks for reminding me of Coady's work. I actually invited her to
Boston back then to find out more about her work.

>> Is CS really guilty of always solving engineering problems that
>> nobody has created yet?
>
> As Tuco says in The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly: "When you need to
> shoot, shoot -- don't talk!" (-:

As I said in my private email to Felix and Mitch, "I am as guilty as
anyone."

;; ---

Form yours and Theo's answer, it sounds like I can sit back, relax, and
watch AOP perform miracles in all arenas. Thanks.

-- Matthias