[PRL] legacy code and AOP

Matthias Felleisen matthias at ccs.neu.edu
Wed Feb 9 10:24:44 EST 2005

Karl, Mitch, and Felix, but everyone else, too:

Felix and Mitch and I had a conversation about the need of engineers to
train their students in the maintenance of legacy systems, usually
written in C.

Larry and I had a conversation with the engineering school about the
same topic.

In a recent exchange with Karl, I came across this statement:

> The empirical hypothesis beneath AOP is  that these constructs enable
> the effective modularization of crosscutting concerns. The  ability to
> pattern match across an entire code base, and to extend and modify it
> in ways  that are not possible with inheritance is at the heart of the
> matter.

If this is true and AOP is also about change huge code bases to do the
right thing _after the fact_, then has anyone thought of developing an
AOP system for C so that engineers can re-engineer concerns in piles of
C code and help programmers navigate ill-defined, useful, and
to-be-maintained systems? If not, why is nobody working on this? Is CS
really guilty of always solving engineering problems that nobody has
created yet?

-- Matthias