[PRL] Aiken @ Harvard

Richard Cobbe cobbe at ccs.neu.edu
Sun Feb 6 21:11:59 EST 2005

On Sun, Feb 06, 2005 at 04:28:05PM -0500, Matthias Felleisen wrote:
> Consider going to
>
> >Harvard University
> >Computer Science Colloquium Series
> >33 Oxford St.,Cambridge, MA 02138
> >
> >Colloquium
> >
> >Cooperative Bug Isolation
> >
> >Professor Alex Aiken
> >Stanford University

For those who'd like more information:

Abstract:

It is standard engineering practice to monitor and measure the
structures we build as they are being used, but software is an
exception. Most software, once deployed to a user, is not monitored at
all or is monitored only according to an engineer's best guess about
what may be important to observe. As a result, we believe a great deal
of useful information about the behavior of a program, information that
is computed for free by the program's user community, is simply lost.

This talk presents techniques for the systematic monitoring of thousands
to millions of distributed program executions. We discuss how to exploit
this information in a particular application: Using partial information
gathered from many program executions to automatically isolate the
causes of bugs.

Host: Professor Norman Ramsey

Richard