[PRL] PL Seminar/Presentation Workshop Tomorrow

Sam TH samth0 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 4 13:57:24 EST 2005

Presentation Workshop (aka Torture Chamber)
Wednesday, Jan 5, 12:00 pm
WVH 366

Please feel free to bring lunch!

A Core Calculus of Metaclasses

I will conduct a presentation workshop for the talk that I will give at
FOOL 2005.  The abstract is given below.

For those people who saw the earlier talk I gave on this paper, the
talk tomorrow will be substantially different, and much more
high-level.

Abstract:
Metaclasses provide a useful method of abstraction for programmers
working with object-oriented languages, but they have not seen the
formal exploration applied to more conventional object-oriented
programming features. In order to elucidate the structure of
metaclasses and their relationship with static typing, we present a
core calculus for a nominally-typed object-oriented language with
metaclasses and prove type soundness over this core. This calculus is
presented as an adaptation of Featherweight GJ, and is powerful enough
to capture metaclass relationships beyond what are expressible in
common object-oriented languages, including arbitrary metaclass
hierarchies and classes as values. We also explore the integration of
object-oriented design patterns with metaclasses, and show how our
calculus integrates several such patterns cleanly.

--
sam th
samth at ccs.neu.edu