[PRL] Upcoming presentation workshop: 12/13 at noon

Richard Cobbe cobbe at ccs.neu.edu
Fri Dec 10 17:24:20 EST 2004

Presentation Workshop (aka Torture Chamber)
Monday, Dec 13, 12:00 pm
WVH 366

Environmental Acquisition Revisited

Next Monday, I will be conducting a presentation workshop for the talk
that I will be giving at POPL 2005.  The abstract is given below; you
can download a copy of the full paper at
<http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/cobbe/publications/cobbe-05-environmental.pdf>.

(Sincerest apologies for the late notice.)

Richard

Abstract
--------
  In 1996, Gil and Lorenz proposed programming language constructs for
  specifying environmental acquisition in addition to inheritance
  acquisition for objects.  They noticed that in many programs, objects are
  arranged in containment hierarchies and need to obtain information from
  their container objects.  Therefore, if languages allowed programmers to
  specify such relationships directly, type systems and run-time
  environments could enforce the invariants that make these programming
  patterns work.

  In this paper, we present a formal version of environmental
  acquisition for class-based languages.  Specifically, we introduce an
  extension of the ClassicJava model with constructs for environmental
  acquisition of fields and methods, a type system for the model, a
  reduction semantics, and a type soundness proof.  We also discuss how
  to scale the model to a full-scale Java-like programming language.