[PRL] bad speech ...

Matthias Felleisen matthias at ccs.neu.edu
Thu Oct 7 20:21:50 EDT 2004

This afternoon I placed a WSJ column on how bad presentation and speech
habits slow down your professional development in 330 and 308. There
should be enough copies for everyone. Please read, even if it's not a
100% applicable to PhD students -- we chose non-ties for a reason -- it
still helps you place 'torture chamber' in context.

BTW, for those of you who don't know the history of this wonderful
term: It is due Prof John Dennis, Applied and Computational Mathematics
at Rice, who introduced this idea in the late 70s. I started a torture
chamber in the CS department and then took it along when we all moved
here.

-- Matthias