[PRL] Presentation Workshop this Wednesday, 9/29

Mitchell Wand wand at ccs.neu.edu
Mon Sep 27 16:47:16 EDT 2004

Torture Chamber (d/b/a "Presentation Workshop") presents:

Ryan Culpepper

Taming Macros

Scheme includes a simple yet powerful macro mechanism. Using macros,
programmers can easily extend the language with new kinds of expressions
and definitions, thus abstracting over recurring syntactic patterns. As
with every other powerful language mechanism, programmers can also easily
misuse macros and, to this day, broken macro definitions or macro uses
pose complex debugging problems to programmers at all levels of
experience.

In this paper, we present a type system for taming Scheme-like macros.
Specifically, we formulate a small model that captures the essential
properties of Scheme-style macros. For this model, we formulate a novel
type system to eliminate some of these problems, prove its soundness, and
validate its pragmatic usefulness.

Wed 9/29
1145am
366 WVH