[PRL] Fwd: An instructor for MIS U402 for Fall 2004

Matthias Felleisen matthias at ccs.neu.edu
Wed Aug 11 16:48:52 EDT 2004

The business school is looking for an instructor for their introduction
to programming courses. The course statement and tentative syllabus are
attached. It will run M,TH 11:45-1:25.

When you look at the syllabus, you'd think that the Business School
teaches their students in one semester what we teach in three semesters.
But after some asking they confirmed that

> Our expectations are closest to your third alternative. Namely:
>  - or your course is really a relatively shallow
>     overview course, covering all the buzz words, and
>     nobody would expect a graduate from this course to
>     implement a real business project.

So this is a relatively simple way to make some extra money and
get a bit of insight about how real-world people are trained to
see 'software' as they go to college. It may also build up a
connection that is valuable down the road and may even give you
ideas on research in an applied languages/software engineering sense.

The coordinator sounds sensible. He got a PhD in languages some
25 years ago and published in PL journals (SIAM J Comp, ACTA
Informatica). I bet he may tolerate the use of design recipes
in their contexts.

Oh, the downside: it's in VB.Net. The upside, Will has a Scheme
running on .Net and we can translate some of these things into
Scheme scripts and figure out what we need to make our Scheme
competitive to VB.Net.

-- Matthias