[PRL] LaTeX: how to disable underfull hbox warnings?

Eli Barzilay eli at barzilay.org
Sun Jun 27 19:01:52 EDT 2004

On Jun 27, Richard C. Cobbe wrote:
> Does anyone know how to (temporarily) disable LaTeX's underfull \hbox
> warnings?  They're obscuring the important error messages, and I'd like
> to mask them until I get the main content of the paper done and I'm
> ready to tweak formatting issues.

Either use \sloppy in the preamble, or \begin{sloppypar}...
\end{sloppypar} for a single paragraph.  This will convince tex to put
much more spaces to justify text -- my experience is that leftover
hbox problems should be considered errors (things like long \verb's
etc).

If you want even more than that, then the definition of sloppy is:

  \def\sloppy{%
    \tolerance 9999%
    \emergencystretch 3em%
    \hfuzz .5\p@
    \vfuzz\hfuzz}

so you can play with these lengths directly, and make it even more
sloppy.