[PRL] monad / cat. thy paper

Dale Vaillancourt dalev at ccs.neu.edu
Mon May 17 09:07:27 EDT 2004

For those of you who find category theory a fun distraction from what
you're supposed to be working on (I know I'm not the only one :), I invite
you to check out this short tech report by John Shutt:

ftp://ftp.cs.wpi.edu/pub/techreports/03-21.ps.gz (or)
ftp://ftp.cs.wpi.edu/pub/techreports/03-21.pdf

It contains a brief but lucid introduction to categories, functors,
natural transformations, and adjunctions.  He goes on to talk about
monads, and he shares his thoughts on their efficacy (and possible lack
thereof) as models of impure computation, as mathematical components, and
as software components.

Enjoy!

-Dale