[PRL] Tex Question: Bold font for Greek letters

Eli Barzilay eli at barzilay.org
Mon Apr 26 23:02:56 EDT 2004

On Apr 26, Matthias Felleisen wrote:
> The trick is to print the character several times, offset by a fraction
> of a pixel in each direction. Well, that's what I did in raw TeX when I
> was young. Then I gave up on bold greek :-) -- Matthias
>
> On Apr 26, 2004, at 10:41 PM, Kenichi Asai wrote:
> > [...] (to distinguish the object language from the meta language).

IMO, the *real* trick is to admit that the meta-language is also
someone's object language, so it's better to go with something better
than bold...  I went with underlines.

(The problem there is that a simple underline will consider all of its
characters, which means that if you use that on disjoint parts you get
lines at different heights.  Then I discovered \underbar, and use it
like this:
  \newcommand{\Q}[1]{\ifmmode \underbar{\ensuremath{#1}}%
                     \else    \underbar{#1}%
                     \fi}
)