[PRL] random flame: actors versus OO

David Herman dherman at ccs.neu.edu
Tue Feb 17 22:27:08 EST 2004

That's nice to hear, because it means my gut feelings haven't been
totally off track.

This reminds me: the other day Felix and I were wondering about the
connection between actors and the history of Scheme. I've heard that
the early development of Scheme had something to do with people playing
with actor semantics. Aside from the general fact that Scheme is a good
for writing interpreters and playing with language ideas, I'm not
really seeing any particular relation with actors. In fact, FWICT,
there's nothing directly addressing concurrency in the core language at
all. What's the historical connection?

Dave