[PRL] cisco router problem

Matthias Felleisen matthias at ccs.neu.edu
Wed Jan 14 15:00:12 EST 2004

I got the program. I spent 15 - 20 minutes on it. After a few
procedures, he gave up the design recipe. The code looks like it. He
wanted to get it done. Now.

So what have I found?

1. Lots of small mistakes. None should kill the performance. Indeed,
they should all speed it up because they short-cut decision making with
wrong decisions :-).

2. He reads two files and for each line in one (large) file he reads
and processes the other file. Since files are just lists, ... I asked
and he believes that it would not work to place the whole file into
memory. But I have just run a short stress test and I was able to write
and read 1,000,000 lines of things similar to his stuff in mzscheme
(drscheme w/ all debugging/profiling/coverage turned off) in a minute
or so. I will suggest this to him and we'll see where he goes from here.

-- Matthias

P.S. I know one of you thought that this would be the case, but I
forgot who. One winner.