[PRL] [Fwd: Gregory T. Sullivan] Dan Geer, Thurs. 11/20/03, 8ai

Mitchell Wand wand at ccs.neu.edu
Tue Nov 18 10:59:31 EST 2003

------- start of forwarded message (RFC 934 encapsulation) -------
From: gregs at ai.mit.edu (Gregory T. Sullivan)
Sender: seminars-bounces at csail.mit.edu
To: Seminars at CSAIL <seminars at csail.mit.edu>
Subject: Dan Geer, Thurs. 11/20/03, 8ai
Date: 18 Nov 2003 10:53:20 -0500

Shared Risk at the National Scale
Dan Geer, independent consultant formerly with @stake

GBC/ACM evening seminar - 7:00 pm, Thursday, November 20, 2003

NE-43, 8th floor playroom

Abstract

  What, if any, risks to national infrastructure are there from
  attacks?  Putting aside nation state actions that involve physical
  destruction of computer resources, is it possible to have a
  substantial impact?  Does a high degree of dependence on computers
  level the playing field from the point of view of those would
  otherwise be minor actors?  If you had to answer "What are the one
  or two biggest threats and how would we mitigate them?" what would
  you answer?  Are there any lessons to learn from Nature or from
  fields such as public health?  We will explore these connected
  issues and, yes, we will use the word "monoculture."

Bio

  Dr. Daniel E. Geer, trained as a computer scientist and
  biostatistician, ran development for MIT's Project Athena out of
  which came the X Window System, Kerberos and most of the first
  versions of what we take for granted in the Internet of today.  He
  founded what was probably the first information security
  consultancy.  Widely published both in journals and the lay press,
  Dr. Geer has been active in professional life including eight years
  on the Board of the USENIX Association including two years as
  President.  His 1998 speech, "Risk Management is Where the Money
  Is," changed the paradigm of both academic and commercial security
  development.  He has testified at Congress multiple times and has
  served in an advisory capacity to the Departments of Justice,
  Defense, Commerce and Treasury, to the Federal Trade Commission, the
  National Institute of Justice, the National Research Council, and
  the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.  He holds several security
  related patents, is a serial entrepreneur, and serves in both
  fiduciary and non-fiduciary roles for a small set of promising
  startups.

  This meeting is sponsored by the Greater Boston Chapter of the ACM
  (<http://www.gbcacm.org>).  Meeting begins at 7:00 pm and is free
  and open to the public.  No pre-registration is required.  An
  optional, pay-your-own dinner follows.  For more information: Peter
  Mager at p.mager at computer.org

- --
Greg      gregs at csail.mit.edu (617)253-5807
Sullivan  http://www.ai.mit.edu/~gregs/