[PRL] Maintenance/administration of windows machines

Pengcheng Wu wupc at ccs.neu.edu
Mon Sep 29 23:14:20 EDT 2003

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003, Mitchell Wand wrote:

> Here's a query for those of you in the lab who have CCIS Windows
> machines (not your own PCs):
>
> How is your machine set up?  Does systems administer your machine?  If
> so, what kind of image do you have?  What domain does your machine
> belong to? What rights do you have on your machine (as PI or as RA)?
> etc etc.
>
> If systems does not administer your machine, how is it set up?  Do you
> use a community port and a nomad password to connect to the rest of
> CCIS?  How do you deal with backup, antivirus, etc?

I maintain my Windows machine myself so that I have more control on what
software I can install. I install everything myself except MS Windows. It
has to connect to CCS's network through a community port and I have to
input my nomad password each time the computer is restarted. I think
community port connection sometimes is less stable than direct connection,
but in general, I feel fine with it. I don't have backup or antivirus
software installed. I always put crucial files in my UNIX file system.
However, if you want to install those files, I believe you can borrow the
media from Infocomm Center, which is located in the first floor of Snell
library.

--Pengcheng