[PRL] [Fwd: Carol Harlow] WebEvent Change: Keith Cooper, Rice University

Mitchell Wand wand at ccs.neu.edu
Mon Sep 29 16:58:36 EDT 2003

------- start of forwarded message (RFC 934 encapsulation) -------
From: Carol Harlow <charlow at fas.harvard.edu>
Sender: owner-colloquium at deas.harvard.edu
To: colloquium at deas.harvard.edu
Subject: WebEvent Change: Keith Cooper, Rice University
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 15:22:28 -0400 (EDT)

***           WebEvent Scheduling Change                ***

Title:     Keith Cooper, Rice University

Date:      October 16, 2003

Location:     Maxwell Dworkin G125, (Ice Cream at 3:30PM - Maxwell Dworkin 2nd Floor Lounge Area)
Time:      4 p.m. - 5 p.m.

Calendar:

Action:    Single event changed

Description
- -----------
Harvard University
33 Oxford St.,
Cambridge, MA 02138
tel: (617) 496-1440  fax: (617) 495-9837

Colloquium

Rethinking Compiler Structure

Abstract
For more than forty years, we have built compilers that follow a simple structural model:
they apply a fixed set of passes to every program.  A typical compiler has a handful of
optimization levels that add extra passes into the process. This approach has allowed us
to make progress on compilation and optimization.  It has allowed us to build and debug
compilers.  However, it has not placed us in a position where we can deliver high-quality
compilers in a timely fashion. Despite forty years of research on optimization and code
quality, we still have trouble producing compilers that generate excellent code for new
architectures and new applications.

One area that research has largely avoided is the structure of the compilers that we build.
Modern compilers are organized along the same basic lines that were used in the first
Fortran compiler, in the late 1950s.  The time has come to fundamentally rethink the way
that we organize and execute optimizing compilers.  In our research, we are building and
 evaluating an adaptive compiler.  This compiler changes its behavior in response to both
the application and the target machine. It uses a simple feedback mechanism in an attempt
to minimize an explicit objective function, such as execution time or code size.

This talk will present preliminary results from some large scale experiments with our prototype
system. It will discuss some of the engineering challenges that adaptivity presents. It will discuss
the impact that our results should have on the way that we build and structure compilers.  It will
suggest directions for future research in adaptive compilation.

This talk should be accessible to a broad audience.

Host:  Professor Michael Smith

Calendar URL
http://www.fas.harvard.edu/

Full changes are as follows: