[PRL] Re: "dia" in the gimp?

Richard C. Cobbe cobbe at ccs.neu.edu
Thu May 29 12:51:38 EDT 2003

Lo, on Thursday, May 29, Mitchell Wand did write:

> Following on your comment, I tried to use the gimp to draw a simple
> diagram.  Yikes!  Maybe you or somebody else can give me a demo
> sometime.  And I couldn't find "dia" at all (on my Sun).

Yeah, the gimp is not at all well-suited for that sort of thing; it's
intended to be a GPL'd Photoshop.  Apologies if it sounded like I'd
recommended that for drawing state machines; that was not at all my
intent.

Dia is part of the Gnome environment, so I don't think it's available on
the Solaris network here.  It is, however, installed on the Linux
machines in 201, which should be reachable via ssh from any CCS
machine.  The-wall doesn't seem to be responding currently, but darkside
is up, and dia is installed.

Richard