[Pl-seminar] Seminar tomorrow: Olek Gierczak

Andrew Wagner wagner.andr at northeastern.edu
Mon Apr 22 20:26:28 EDT 2024

Hi all,

Tomorrow, Olek will present his work on vigilant gradual typing.

Where: WVH 366

When: Tomorrow Apr 23, 12:30-1:30. Lunch will be served 12-12:30

Speaker: Olek Gierczak

Abstract:
In gradual typing, different languages perform different dynamic type checks for
the same program even though the languages have the same static type system.
This raises the question of whether, given a gradually typed language, the
dynamic semantics that determines the behavior of checks sufficiently enforces
the static type system of the language. No meta-theoretic property of gradually
typed languages to date provides a satisfying answer.

In this talk, I present vigilance, a semantic analytical instrument that defines
when the check-injecting translation and dynamic semantics of a gradually typed
language are adequate for its static type system. I discuss results for
different semantics, and show how vigilance can guide design with a new
theoretical static gradual type system.