[Pl-seminar] 12/1 Seminar: Julian Dolby, Analysis of Android hybrid applications and other fun with WALA

Daniel Patterson dbp at ccs.neu.edu
Thu Nov 17 14:51:47 EST 2016

NUPRL Seminar presents

Julian Dolby
IBM Research
Host: Frank Tip

12:00-1:30PM
Thursday, December 1st, 2016
Room 140 Richards Hall (NOTE! THIS IS DIFFERENT THAN NORMAL. Richards Hall
is on Huntington, towards Mass Ave - https://goo.gl/maps/EHDFX8mMu3D2)

Analysis of Android hybrid applications and other fun with WALA

Abstract:

Hybrid apps help developers build multiple apps for different platforms
with less duplicated effort, by providing platform-specific functionality
via native code and user interactions via javascript code. however, most
hybrid apps are developed in multiple programming languages with different
semantics, complicating programming. moreover, untrusted javascript code
may access device-specific features via native code, exposing hybrid apps
to attacks. Unfortunately, there are no existing tools to detect such
vulnerabilities. In this paper, we present HybriDroid, the first static
analysis framework for Android hybrid apps. First, we investigate the
semantics of interoperation of Android Java and JavaScript. Then, we design
and implement a static analysis framework that analyzes inter-communication
between Android Java and JavaScript. We demonstrate HybriDroid with a bug
detector that identifies programmer errors due to the hybrid semantics, and
a taint analyzer that finds information leaks cross language boundaries.
Our empirical evaluation shows that the tools are practically usable in
that they found previously uncovered bugs in real-world Android hybrid apps
and possible information leaks via a widely-used advertising platform.

The bulk of this presentation will focus on ASE 2016 work on analysis of
hybrid apps (1), a blend of per-platform native code and portable
JavaScript. I will also briefly discuss two other recent projects involving
WALA: ASE 2015 work on a practically tunable static analysis framework for
large-scale JavaScript applications (2), and ISSTA 2015 work on scalable
and precise taint analysis for Android (3).

1: Sungho Lee, Julian Dolby, Sukyoung Ryu: HybriDroid: static analysis
framework for Android hybrid applications. ASE 2016: 250-261

2: Yoonseok Ko, Hongki Lee, Julian Dolby, Sukyoung Ryu: Practically Tunable
Static Analysis Framework for Large-Scale JavaScript Applications (T). ASE
2015: 541-551

3: Wei Huang, Yao Dong, Ana Milanova, Julian Dolby: Scalable and precise
taint analysis for Android. ISSTA 2015: 106-117

Bio:

Julian Dolby is a Research Staff Member at the IBM Thomas J. Watson
Research Center, where he works on a range of topics, including static
program analysis, software testing, concurrent programming models and the
semantic Web. He is one of the primary authors of the publically available
Watson Libraries for Analysis (WALA) program analysis infrastructure, and
his recent WALA work has focused on creating the WALA Mobile infrastructure.

His program analysis work has recently focused on scripting languages like
JavaScript and on security analysis of Web applications; this work has been
included in IBM products, most notably Rational AppScan, Standard Edition
and Source Edition. He was educated at the University of Illinois at
Urbana-Champaign as a graduate student where he worked with Professor
Andrew Chien on programming systems for massively-parallel machines.