[Pl-seminar] 5/2 Seminar: Charles Consel, Internet of Things: From Small- to Large-Scale Orchestration

William J. Bowman wilbowma at ccs.neu.edu
Mon Apr 25 11:44:50 EDT 2016

NUPRL Seminar presents

Charles Consel
Bordeaux Institute of Technology

11:00am--12:30pm
Monday May 2nd, 2016
Room 366 WVH (http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/wand/directions.html)

Internet of Things: From Small- to Large-Scale Orchestration

Abstract:
The domain of Internet of Things (IoT) is rapidly expanding beyond
research and becoming a major industrial market with such stakeholders
as major manufacturers of chips and connected objects, and
fast-growing operators of low-power wide-area networks. Importantly,
this emerging domain is driven by applications that leverage the
infrastructure to provide users with innovative, high-value
services. Because of this application-centric approach, software
development plays a key role to realize the full potential of IoT.

In this talk, we argue that there is a continuum between orchestrating
connected objects in the small and in the large, fostering a unified
approach to application development. We examine the requirements for
orchestrating connected objects and address them with domain-specific
design concepts. We then show how to map these design concepts into
dedicated programming patterns and runtime mechanisms.

Our work revolves around domain-specific notations integrated into a
tool-based design methodology, dedicated to develop IoT
applications. We have applied our work across a spectrum of
infrastructure sizes; we present examples, ranging from an automated
pilot in avionics, to an assisted living platform for the home of
seniors, to a parking management system in a smart city.

Bio:
Charles Consel is a professor of Computer Science at Bordeaux
Institute of Technology. He served on the faculty of Yale University,
Oregon Graduate Institute and the University of Rennes.

His research contributions cover programming languages, software
engineering, operating systems, pervasive computing, and assistive
computing.

He leads the Phoenix group at Inria that conducts multi-disciplinary
research to design, develop, deploy and assess assistive computing
support. This research combines (1) Cognitive Science to study user
needs and make a rigorous assessment of assistive services; (2)
Sensing and actuating expertise to support the user, based on accurate
and rich interactions with the environment; (3) Computer Science to
support and guide the development process of the assistive services.

--
William J. Bowman
Northeastern University