[Pl-seminar] 6/1: Vasileios Koutavas, "Quantifying the correctness of functional programs"

Aaron Turon turon at ccs.neu.edu
Mon May 30 00:09:43 EDT 2011

NEU Programming Languages Seminar presents

Vasileios Koutavas
Trinity College (Dublin)

Wednesday, 6/1
11:45am - 1:30pm
Room 366 WVH (http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/wand/directions.html)

Quantifying the correctness of functional programs

Modular development of programs relies on abstracting away from the concrete
code of certain modules, either to simplify the development and testing, or
because the concrete code is not available. When complete software
verification of
such programs is not possible, it is difficult to estimate the degree of their
correctness.

In this talk I will present work in progress that aims to develop a semantic
model for quantifying the correctness of programs when some of their parts are
represented abstractly by behavioral contracts along with an estimate of
correctness.  Our semantics computes the probability of correctness of a
program as a function of the correctness of its parts. This may help us make
precise estimates of program correctness and identify components where
additional
verification and testing efforts would be most beneficial.