[Pl-seminar] PL seminar schedule

Aaron Turon turon at ccs.neu.edu
Sat Jan 8 10:25:29 EST 2011

NEU Programming Languages Seminar presents

Dave Herman
Mozilla Labs

Wednesday, 1/12

11:45am - 1:30pm
Room 366 WVH (http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/wand/directions.html)

The Rust Programming Language

Parallelism and security are two of the biggest technological
challenges Mozilla faces in developing next-generation web technology.
Yet despite its shortcomings on both scores, C++ is still the tool of
choice for systems engineering at Mozilla. We have recently begun
investing in the development of Rust, a new systems programming
language designed with memory safety, pervasive concurrency, and
task-level parallelism at its core. In this talk I will give an
overview of the current design of Rust as well as some of our thoughts
for upcoming features.