[Pl-seminar] PL seminar schedule: Daniel Brown on 11/17

Aaron Turon turon at ccs.neu.edu
Mon Nov 15 15:16:38 EST 2010

NEU Programming Languages Seminar presents

Daniel Brown
Northeastern University

Wednesday, 11/17

11:45am - 1:30pm
Room 366 WVH (http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/wand/directions.html)

Monadic reflection

In this talk I will present recent work by Andrzej Filinski that
attempts to combine the convenience of programming with implicit
effects (think ML or Racket) with the flexibility of explicit monads
(think Haskell). The key idea, monadic reflection, allows the
programmer to (1) reflect a pure, monadic value as an effectful
expression, and to (2) reify an effectful expression back into a
monadic value. We will discuss a reduction semantics for monadic
reflection, a type-and-effect system that statically ensures safety
and, briefly, two alternate denotational approaches.