[Pl-seminar] PL seminar schedule

Aaron Turon turon at ccs.neu.edu
Mon Oct 18 23:05:55 EDT 2010

NEU Programming Languages Seminar presents

David Van Horn
Northeastern University

Wednesday, 10/20

11:45am - 1:30pm
Room 366 WVH (http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/wand/directions.html)

Machines for the Working Abstract Semanticist

In this talk, I will describe a simple approach to program analysis
based on abstract machines and reduction semantics.  The approach
scales to sophisticated language features and can be adapted to reason
about incomplete programs by using types or contracts to describe the
missing components.  What's nice is it involves little beyond what
you'd learn in the Principles of Programming Languages PhD course.

I will give a tutorial on this new approach and then describe some
ideas for future work.  Basically, I have a bunch of problems I think
are worth solving, but not the brain- or horsepower to do them myself.
My hope is that I can convince others in the PRL to tackle at least
some of these.

This is joint work with Stephen Chang, Christopher Earl, Matthias
Felleisen, Matthew Might, Sam Tobin-Hochstadt, Mitchell Wand, and
maybe you too.