[Pl-seminar] PL seminar schedule

Aaron Turon turon at ccs.neu.edu
Sun Feb 7 11:28:07 EST 2010

NEU Programming Languages Seminar presents

Chung-chieh Shan

Wednesday, Feb 10, 2010
11:45-1:30
Room 366 WVH (http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/wand/directions.html)

Title:  Lifted inference: normalizing loops by evaluation
(Joint work with Oleg Kiselyov)

Abstract:

Many loops in probabilistic inference map almost every individual in
their domain to the same result.  Running such loops symbolically
takes time sublinear in the domain size.  Using normalization by
evaluation with first-class delimited continuations, we _lift_
inference procedures to reap this speed-up without interpretive
overhead.  To express nested loops, we use multiple control delimiters
for metacircular interpretation.  To express loops over a powerset
domain, we convert nested loops over a subset to unnested loops.