[Pl-seminar] Semantics Seminar Schedule

Pete Manolios pete at ccs.neu.edu
Mon Feb 9 12:01:27 EST 2009

Ranjit is interested in meeting with faculty and students in PRL. If
anyone is interested in meeting with him, send me email. Ranjit is
available this Wednesday starting at 8:30 AM until 11:30 AM. If you're
interested, let me know what your availability is and what your
preferred meeting times are.

Cheers,
Pete

On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 12:05 AM, Mitchell Wand <wand at ccs.neu.edu> wrote:
> NU Programming Languages Seminar
> Wednesday, February 11, 2009
> (* I THINK I'VE GOT THE DATE RIGHT NOW...  *)
> 11:45-1:30
> Room 366 WVH (http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/wand/directions.html)
>
> Ranjit Jhala
> University of California, San Diego
>
> Liquid Types
>
> We present Logically Qualified Data Types, abbreviated to Liquid
> Types, a new static program verification technique which combines the
> complementary strengths of automated deduction (SMT solvers), model
> checking (Predicate Abstraction), and type systems (Hindley-Milner
> inference).  We have implemented the technique in a tool that infers
> liquid types for Ocaml programs.  To demonstrate the utility of our
> approach, we show how liquid types reduce, by more than an order of
> magnitude, the manual annotations required to statically verify (1)
> the safety of array accesses on a diverse set of benchmarks, and (2)
> invariants like sortedness, balancedness, binary-search-ordering,
> variable ordering, set-implementation, heap-implementation, and
> acyclicity of data structure libraries for list-sorting, union-find,
> splay trees, AVL trees, red-black trees, heaps, associative maps,
> extensible vectors, and binary decision diagrams.  (Joint work with
> Patrick Rondon and Ming Kawaguchi)
>
>  Ranjit Jhala is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Computer
> Science and Engineering at UC San Diego. Before joining UCSD, he was a
> graduate student at UC Berkeley. Ranjit is interested in Programming
> Languages and Software Engineering, more specifically, in techniques
> for building reliable computer systems. His work draws from, combines
> and contributes to methods the areas of Model Checking, Program
> Analysis and Automated Deduction.
>
> Host: Pete Manolios

> Upcoming Events:
>
> # 2/18 Adam Chlipala, Liberating Semi-Automated PL Proofs from Binder
> Bookkeeping
>
> Wouldn't you like to give a talk?
>
> --Mitch

Pete Manolios